The influential Chanel suit, launched in 1923, it was an elegant suit comprising a knee-length skirt and trim, boxy jacket, traditionally made of woven wool with black trim and gold buttons and worn with large costume-pearl necklaces. Coco Chanel also popularized the little black dress, whose blank-slate versatility allowed it to be worn for day and evening, depending on how it was accessorized. Although unassuming black dresses existed before Chanel, the ones she designed were considered the haute couture standard. In 1923, she told Harper's Bazaar that "simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance." Chanel always kept the clothing she designed simple and comfortable. She took what was considered poor fabrics like jersey and upgraded them.
Keeping this standard of fashion in mind, what is the modern definition of a "girly girl"?
Girly girl is a slang term for a girl or woman who chooses to dress and behave in a traditionally feminine style, such as wearing floral dresses, blouses and skirts, and talking about relationships and other activities which are associated with the traditional gender role of a girl. It is an informal term, and in most contexts, it is at least mildly derogatory.
The term is sometimes seen as a term of disdain or abuse, particularly among tomboys and some feminists, since the "second wave" of feminism in the 1960s and '70s, after which gender-blind clothing and/or behavior started to become more prevalent among females. Whether "traditionally feminine" traits are inherently repressive or harmful to women is a matter of some debate. Some women may be offended by this term.
More recently, a resurgence of the use in a more positive light has occurred. Women have embraced a softer, more feminine, view of womanhood and have embraced the term "girly". Examples of this can be seen in the artwork of popular publications such as Cosmopolitan, Glamour, and Redbook which have all recently made use of "girly" type characters. Examples of a younger movement embracing the term can be seen in the rising popularity of Girly Layouts used on popular sites like MySpace.com
I found this very cute description on wikihow.com. While this was written for young girls I think it has some value for girls and women of all ages.
How to Be Girly
Do you love being girly? Its great for girls to express themselves in what ever way they like to. This is just for anyone who personally loves it which is great too! No matter who you are hopefully this how to will help you come into your more girly side!
1. Have a bright personality, bubbly and happy. Don't giggle all the time, because people will find that really annoying. Instead, make other people laugh, and be really cute. Don't take yourself too seriously.
2. Be clean and neat. Being dirty and grubby has never been girly and never will be! Have clean waxed or tweezed eyebrows. Either get a professional to do them or do them yourself at home. Also have neat finger and toe nails. Have regular manicures and pedicures. Either get them done in a salon or do them at home.
3. Make your room more girly by having pink walls and bed spreads. If you can't paint your walls, then cover them in posters of all your fave celebs!
4. Wear some make-up! Make-up shouldn't be a chore, it should be fun! A slick of sheer lip gloss and you're done.
5. Have fun with your hair - straightened, curly or wavy if your going to wear it out. If you have naturally straight hair, then great! You can just leave it out how it is, or you can wave it or curl it. If you have wavy hair, then you can leave it as is or straighten it..or you can make it more curly. If you have naturally curly hair then you can leave it as is, straighten it or make it wavy. You could also tie your hair up in a cute style - pony, bun, braids etc! You could add accessories like head bands and flowers - the styles are endless. Most importantly, keep your hair clean.
6. Get girly clothes - skirts, cute shirts, accessories, jeans, cute shorts...anything pink is good. Make an effort to look around. When you first start coming out of your "comfort" zone you won't like anything and will keep saying, "No" to everything you see. Go to EVERY store you can. You might get tired of walking around, but just looking is a big step! Go with your friends who HAVE style or with somebody who has any style different then yours! Let them help you, but develop your own style and don't just copy theirs.
7. Wear jeans that fit. Don't wear low cut jeans if you don't feel comfortable, but make sure your jeans fit you. Not tight, not baggy. A belt is ok, but the fit says it all. Try on lots of brands, styles, cuts and sizes. Not every size jean will fit the same depending on the brand. The same goes with shirts. Not tight, not baggy. If your shirt is so tight you can see your bra or you have trouble getting your shirt off of your back, then it's too tight. If your shirt is so big that you can pull it up and see your belly button then it's too big( nothing against belly button shirts)! Things like camisoles are supposed to fit tight.
8. Play sports - although everyone thinks sports are for boys, they can be girly - try cheerleading, dancing, tennis, netball, basketball, volleyball, swimming, soccer, etc. Sports also keep you in shape!
9. Listen to music that is soft on the ears and is opitmistic.
10. Consider your fashion. Most girly-girls wear pink, sparkly, feminine, lacy/frilly, and neat clothing. Buy clothing that people would consider very girly. Skirts are also very popular for girls.
11. Choose a scent. Buy shampoos, body wash/lotion, shaving cream, deodorant, perfume, etc. that has girly scents. Some scents would include: flowers, roses, fruit (strawberries), etc. This also covers the subject of hygiene...You must be clean and smelling good.
12. Put your best face forward. Makeup is a very important aspect of looks for girls. Lip gloss is all that is needed.
13. Keep your teeth nice and white. There are several ways to get the perfect dazzling smile. If your teeth are crooked, don't shy away from braces. Just think of them as jewelry for your teeth! For whitening, you can either do it yourself at home with a store-bought product (such as crest white strips) or go to a dentist that also has expertise in the area of cosmetic dentistry to get them professionally whitened.
14. Be modest; this includes clothing AND personality.
15. Be neat and organized. This is a common trait shared among the feminine types.
16. Girliness is also associated with romance sometimes. Be sure to read/write romance novels and develop a keen interest in poetry. You can also make this your music style by listening to love songs.
17. Hang out with gal pals. Girls love the mall, shopping, and almost anything associated with beauty. Get a group of friends and have a shopping spree, makeovers, a sleepover, or any girl-related activity.
18. Accessorize. Don't forget the jewelry! Always have a nice pair of earrings at hand. Earrings are a total must-have. Chandelier earrings are especially nice. Also, don't forget a purse! You MUST have a nice purse if nothing else!
19. Keep your nails and toenails polished in a stylish way. The most popular style is the "French manicure/pedicure."
20. Be emotionally sensitive.
21. Be delicate and careful. This includes GOOD MANNERS and being POLITE at all times.
22. Always smile that beautiful smile.
"andrea nicole baker"